I am so happy that it's dungeness crab season! My favorite part of the crab is the crab tomalley known as the mustard, which is the yellow-green stuff found inside of the body. Usually people discard that part which is a wasteful shame because it's so rich, buttery, and delicious. We received some crab tomalley and meat from Patrick's parents, so we thought it'd be a great idea to make some garlic noodles and incorporate the crab tomalley in the sauce and to simply saute the delicious crab meat to top it off.
The crab tomalley was a nice addition to the original recipe, giving it a thicker, briny & more flavorful taste, which I absolutely love!
This recipe is effortless (other than cracking the crabs) and delicious.
Sauteed Crab with Garlic Butter Scallion Noodles Recipe
Serves 2-3 people
Recipe adapted from Steamy Kitchen
- 1 lb of crab meat (about 2 fresh crabs worth)
- 8 oz (1/2 lb) of dry egg noodles (skinny or chow mein size)
- 1/4 cup of chopped scallions
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons of crab tomalley from fresh crab (preferred), or 1 teaspoon of fish sauce
- Pull apart the noodles a bit before cooking so that you don't form clumps in the water. Boil water in a medium pot and cook the noodles as directed by package. If no directions, boil the egg noodles for about 3 minutes, drain, and rinse with cold water immediately to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick pan or wok, heat the butter over medium-low heat. Add the scallions and garlic and fry until fragrant, watching carefully and stirring so it doesn't burn.
- Add brown sugar, crab tomalley (or fish sauce), and oyster sauce. Stir and breakdown the tomalley.
- Add the drained noodles and combine well with sauce, fry for 2 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- In medium to large pan, add in 1 tablespoon of butter and saute the crab meat over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Plate the noodles and top off with nice chunks of crab - serve and enjoy :)