We recently went to a potluck and our friend, Annie, brought over this fantastic savory, bright citrus, and creamy salad. The ingredients of the salad are all simple yet it packs in a burst of flavor that you don't forget. And it has great protein! I loved it from the first bite and knew we had to rotate this into our dinner calendar. We made this at home for dinner (topped with some nice smoked paprika wild shrimp) and it was absolutely delicious - and best of all, it took me less than 15 minutes to do everything (after cooking the quinoa). I'm in love.
Black Bean Quinoa Avocado Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
Serves 4 people
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 oranges, peeled, seeded and segments chopped (I used sweet satsumas)
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ear (3/4 cup) corn kernels
- salt & pepper
For the Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 2 lemons, juiced (1/4 cup juice)
- 2 garlic cloves, microplaned or finely minced
- agave nectar to taste (I used 2 teaspoons)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- To make the Lemon Vinaigrette: combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid, and shake to combine.
- Combine cooked quinoa with red onion, orange segments, avocados, beans, corn, salt and pepper. Pour Lemon Vinaigrette over the salad and stir to combine. Serve cold or at room temperature.